Monday, January 29, 2007

First Person Fable

I never throw parties. There are too many things that can go wrong. It is not worth it. It is always better to go to a party hosted by a proven host than one hosted by an unknown. Parties are thrown all of the time, often better than not, but to throw a good party there are a few key elements that you need.

Firstly, a party will need people, both girls and guys of an appropriate age level. Depending on the size of the party, there are different types of people you invite. For big parties, you invite everyone. For small parties, you invite a few choice friends (sort of like a dinner party) that you know will be down for a good time.

Secondly you will need music. The music can vary however you want, but for any larger party you will want something loud with a lot of bass, like hip hop. For smaller parties, any background music will do. If you want dancing, you will need dance music.

Thirdly you need refreshments. This can be any form of beverages, from soda to alcohol. Of course, most wouldn’t think of partying without alcohol, so if you aren’t inclined to spending a lot on alcohol, you can either charge or have the guests bring their own beverages. Food isn’t necessary, and most likely will be gone before most of the guests arrive, so be wary.

So, all things considered, I thought I had it all. I was going to have a birthday party for myself. I was going to have the party on the weekend following my birthday, but complications had arisen, and I set it for a couple weeks later. I had a ton of beer, leftovers from a previous engagement of which everyone drank wine. I had the music, and a great sound system with a huge subwoofer. I also had the people. I had invited around thirty people, as I wanted a smaller party, and I only had so much booze. Further, I wanted it to be a barbeque, so I didn’t want to buy too much food. With the date set, I counted down the days until that Saturday.

Saturday came, and I woke to the most beautiful day. Clear skies, sunny, and a high of seventy eight degrees were the conditions. I couldn’t have asked for a better day. Well, I could have because the day I set happened to be a three day weekend, and ten people canceled the night before because they were out traveling. But, no problem, twenty people is still a pretty good number.

My cousin came by early to help set up the place and get the meat ready for the barbeque. It was just past noon when I started making calls to check to see if everyone else could still make it. I called one girl, who was taking three other girls with her to my house. As fortune goes, her sister was having a baby early, so she cancelled and couldn’t take the rest of the girls. I panicked, and called some of the other people who were coming to see if they could pick up the girls, but they canceled too.

Meanwhile, whilst confirming, or rather not confirming guests, I was drinking the beer with my cousin and snacking on potato chips with French onion dip. I was a little tipsy off the beer, so I decided to make myself a hamburger when one of my mates called me and said his car had broken down. I thought “whatever” as I downed another beer. I grilled some burgers for me and my cousin, who hadn’t invited anyone on account that I wanted to invite everyone myself. But I, being slightly drunk and wanting someone to show up, I asked him to make some calls.

He called a bunch of people to no avail. I was very pissed off at this point, so I drank more beer and had another hamburger when about six of my friends showed up, all guys. They didn’t seem to mind that no one was there, and they all ate a bunch of hamburgers and drank a ton of beer.

One of my friends decided we should go back to his cabana and go swimming. I abandoned my house and crammed into the only two cars driven by the only two sober people. We arrived at the cabana and drank more and more beer. I thought to myself that this wasn’t such a bad party. After that thought, I dove into the pool. I didn’t dive into the deep end though, but rather the shallow end, and smacked my face at the bottom. But after several beers, I didn’t feel the impact of my face smashing into concrete, with a bit of water to slow me down.

When I got out of the pool, my friends said I had a big gash on my upper lip. I said I didn’t care, drank some more beer, and passed out in the sauna. I woke the next day, without a hangover, but with a large gash above my upper lip. This wouldn’t be so bad if I didn’t have a job interview on Tuesday, which I coincidentally didn’t get. THE END.

- I learned that writing a first person fable is much more difficult than not, and I still don’t really like the format of fables. In conclusion structured writing is very difficult and not very interesting. Sure, the format is easier for the reader, but

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Critique:

I liked the plot line of thi

my $ button just broke $o I cant type the letter $.

--thi$ piece. It $eemed reali$tic and believable, which enhanced the $tory becau$e a fir$t per$on $tory, it $eem$ to me, $hould be believable to a greater degree.

oh okay i ripped the s key off so it kind of works now.

--The tone was amiable, as if in a friendly conversation, and it was consistent throughout. Such a tone is fine in this kind of assignment.

The only thing that I think detracted from the story are a few instances where I think the word choice could be stronger. Tony seems to be missing some opportunities to really paint a vivid picture with descriptive language in the reader's mind such as when tony writes that, "I woke to the most beautiful day. Clear skies, sunny, and a high of seventy eight degrees were the conditions." This is fine; it tells us the info, but it leaves me cold and could instead be a much more vivid and visual description.