Characters Satirized:
The Church: Extravagant, overwhelming, and decadent
Medici: Vermin
Raphael: Worked only for money
St. Peter: Vastness cannot be comprehended with other monuments of size
Colosseum: The brutality as a parallel to today’s violence
Judge Oliver: Patience and wouldn’t complain.
Michelangelo: He made everything.
French Guide: Ignorant of English humor, overly passionate
William H. Neligan: Pretentious, taking things with a handful of salt.
Humor:
“Marcus Marcellus Valerian (Stage name – his real name is Smith)” Taking an exotic Latin name and converting it to the basest English name.
“However, another beggar approaches. I will go out and destroy him and then come back and write another chapter of vituperation.” Twain talks about how horribly the people are treated and treats them the same.
“We got along first-rate with the friar, and were excessively conversational, albeit he could not understand what we said, and certainly he never uttered a word that we could guess the meaning of.” Twain pulls a complete reversal here.
“This
“The women wash clothes half the day, at the public tanks in the streets, but they are probably somebody else’s” How could this tourist know this from such a short time. It is a big time assumption, but it is hilarious all the same.
“I never felt so fervently thankful, so soothed, so tranquil, so filled with a blessed peace as I did yesterday when I learned that Michelangelo was dead.” Once again Twain takes something that is nice and pulls a full reversal on you.
No comments:
Post a Comment